Flygbild över Gyllsjö Träindustri

History

Gyllsjö was founded in 1946 by brothers Ivar and Tore Svensson, later by joined by Maj Svensson. In the beginning Gyllsjö manufactured boxes for fruit and vegetables and among the customers were Helsingborgs Fryshus (now Bring Frigoscandia).The following year Helsingborgs Fryshus acquired one of the first forklifts in Sweden and the Svensson brothers were asked if they also could supply pallets. The pallet production proved to be a profitable business and the production soon switched to just pallets.

In the late 40’s the Swedish national railroad company SJ saw the need for a standardized pallet and contacted Gyllsjö. This was the start of a fruitful collaboration and together, SJ and Gyllsjö developed what would be known as the SJ pallet.

Compared with previous models, which often resembled the American pallet that came to Europe during the war, the SJ pallet was a revolutionary product. It was stronger, lighter and more durable. In addition, the SJ Pallet was a four-way pallet, which made it more flexible and easier to handle. It became an instant success.

At a meeting in the early 50’s in Paris arranged by the International Union of Railways (UIC), the SJ pallet was adopted as a European standard and is subsequently known as the EUR pallet.

We are proud to have been involved in the development of a product that has been manufactured by the billions, and we continue to work in the same spirit of innovation and new thinking as Ivar, Tore and Maj Svensson did more than 70 years ago.